Friday, May 21, 2010

The Auction Cry ~

"Twenty dollar bid, now thirty, now thirty, will ya' give me thirty? No? Can I have a Twenty Five bid, now twenty five, will ya' give me twenty five? Going once, going twice. SOLD to #18!"

Charlie and I were strolling down Lighthouse avenue and came upon an auction. As we walked in to view the items, I couldn't believe my eyes as I looked at the room of maybe 45 people. If you have ever gone to an auction, the room is usually full and the odds are greater against getting what you want at a low price. I had to literally pick my jaw off the ground from watching items go for practically nothing. I watched some antique vases, china sets, tea sets, and tables go for as little as twenty five dollars. I wanted to be a part of this! My heart started pumping as the bid calling started. If any of you have gone to an auction, you will know what I am talking about. OH! and then to be caught in a bidding war... THAT is a rush! All is good, if you set a limit on what you are willing to spend on a particular item you have seen in the preview. You have to be sure to act so cool, no matter how much you are sweating. This is when you put your poker face on. Pffft ~ and I don't even know how to play poker. LOL!

I went up to the desk for information on future auction dates and learned they are every 3rd Saturday of the month.

Below, I took some pictures with my cell phone to show you some items that were sold at the auction.





3 comments:

  1. Oh I want to go....that sounds like so much fun.....but I have no room in this little house for one more piece of furniture....Oh Well.

    You post was so fun to read, and by the way.... You are a dang good Auctioneer in that first paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Wanda I have a small home, and not much room. But I have been to only one auction, and I agree it is fun.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. are these auctions in Hughson? cause I want to go!

    love you tia

    ReplyDelete