Saturday, February 24, 2007

You were the icing on my cake!








Well, let me first say Thank You to all who left the sweetest comments wishing me a Happy Birthday!! You were the icing on my cake!!
I work in a school cafeteria for grades 4Th - 8Th. One of the ladies have been out sick for some time, and the three of us left in the kitchen take turns covering her shift from week to week. Well, it was MY week. It does mean overtime for us who are working that week.... but, it also means we are extra tired and things start adding up at home. The last day of the week, we are really feeling it!
It started off with my son Rob calling me wishing me a "Happy Birthday!" Then my daughter came into where I work with Paris muffins (my Great Grams recipe which she had forever and is still a favorite with our family. My daughter even unknowingly made them in an old small muffin tin my Great Gram had given to me, so it felt like she was here with me.) and fresh coffee with a beautiful paper napkin.
Then the ladies surprised me with the BIG cup and saucer filled over the brim with flowers, chocolates, candles and a butterfly to hang on a pot I call garden eye candy! They made me this yummy chocolate cake! We had lunch and laughed through the day at work! The 7Th and 8Th grade boys came in the serving area and serenaded me with the "Happy Birthday" song! It was very sweet with their voices crackling with deep and high notes!
I came home and this little bird was waiting for me from a dear sweet friend! My husband got me the photo scanner for the computer!!!! I sure could have used that for my dad's picture!! I love it! He also made me an enchilada dinner and had my mom, step dad and little niece over also!
It was a fun filled day with many surprises with every corner I turned!
I am sharing my Great Gram's recipe with you!

Paris Muffins

1/3 cup Crisco
1/2 sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp.nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
Butter
Cinnamon & Sugar

Grease muffin pans (about) 12. Mix eggs, sugar, and Crisco. Mix dry ingredients. Add alternately with milk. Add the egg mixture. Bake for 25 min at 350 degrees. Melt butter and mix sugar and cinnamon together. Take out muffins and roll first in butter then the sugar mixture. Serve warm...or cold.
bunches of hugs to you ~ muah!


10 comments:

  1. Awww I am so thrilled you had such a blessed birthday, filled with love and loved ones! I should have known you worked in the school cafeteria, you little lunch ladies are all the bomb....The girls at Kimbies school have been pulling overtime for the last 10 months, covering for her during chemo and radiation, Celebrating the victories, and holding her up during set-backs. Yeah, I should have known.....
    Wishing you peace and love....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy you had a wonderful birthday! The muffins sound yummy...I am making them this morning! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those muffins look delish...but what is crisco??

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. tee hee hee ~

    Sophie, it is the name brand of an all-vegetable shortening.

    Do you have anything like that there? If not, you could use butter or margarine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Doubt! i am so glad you had such a wonderful birthday. I love that the kids serenaded you!
    LOL, it is kinda ironic that our Dear Kimbies is a 'lunch lady' too! You really are an angel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Happy Belated birthday!! It sounds like you were blessed on your special day!

    I love the story about your dad. I got tears in my eye. What a sweet memory you have.

    Here's to a year filled with His goodness, blessings and abundance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Thank you for sharing your Great Gram's recipe! They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I´m not sure, but if not i´ll use butter :)

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MUAH! back at ya! Angela Marie! I'm going to try making those yummy looking muffins! Thanks for sharing! Photo scan, hmmmm looks interesting! I am not a whizzzzz at computer stuff! but that looks very interesting! xoCinda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making Paris muffins was fun, and I am glad that you loved them too.

    ReplyDelete