Thursday, March 20, 2008

Give Daffodils. Give Hope.





The first day of Charlie's stay in the hospital, a lady came in his room with a bouquet of daffodils and placed them on a table near us. I had asked her who they were from and she said they were given to Charlie by an anonymous American Cancer Society donor. Each stemmed daffodil was tightly closed. As each hour went by, I noticed that they were slowly opening up. By the end of the day they were all fully opened. Periodically through the day I would go down to the first floor to get a cup of hot tea and notice on the way to the elevator the entire cancer wing had daffodils everywhere you looked. The bright yellow did indeed put some sunshine on that floor.

About Daffodil Days

Daffodil Days is one of the American Cancer Society's oldest and most beloved fundraising programs. As the first flower of spring, the daffodil represents hope and renewal. To the American Cancer Society, the daffodil symbolizes the hope we all share for a future where cancer no longer threatens those we love. For 35 years, Daffodil Days has empowered people to make a difference in the fight against cancer by raising funds and awareness to help beat the disease. Daffodil Days involves offering daffodils every spring to donors in appreciation for their contributions, but it is about more than just giving beautiful flowers - it is everyone's opportunity to share hope for a world free of cancer. By giving daffodils to friends, family members, local businesspeople, and even cancer patients, you are really giving hope by enabling the Society to offer free programs and services to improve the lives of people facing cancer.
Your support of American Cancer Society Daffodil Days helps give strength and hope to the millions of Americans facing cancer.


I want to thank you for all of the comments that you left on my previous post. They were the wind beneath my wings. Your words of encouragement (Nina and your swift kick in the pants) were heart felt and I am deeply touched.

Thank you ~

8 comments:

  1. Anytime.... We love you.

    You and Charlie have a daffodil week!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto

    all our love to all of you!


    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear sweet Angela ~~ you have no idea how much you are truly loved by all!!

    Blessing for a peaceful and hopeful Easter ~~ Hugs and Kisses

    Wanda Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are gorgeous images of beatiful flowers! Wishing you a relaxing weekend with tons of love and light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi mummy...I just want to let you know your not alone....Charlie is in our prayers. We love you all so much...take care.xoxoxo

    ps love the flowers....they do bring so much sunshine in a room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's the little fighter I know and love! Kisses and hugs to both of you - I got a good sense of Charlie's strength when I saw him. He will not quit and when he feels like it, you won't let him and he will not let you. And...I won't let either of you when you are in that same place at the same time, I promise. I can see that your friends and family will be right there too from the responses I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Nina's promise
    the family will not let you both get to that place
    you both of strength in you that has not even begun to come out
    I hope that soon we will be able to
    go visit you and charlie

    Love ya so

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool thing - the daffodils. Love it.

    I wish I could do more than sit halfway across the country sending love.

    My prayers will do what I can't do in person.

    Love you...

    ReplyDelete