Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Running Away ~



It's been a little tense here lately. Recently, my husband finished the first phase of a beach house he'd been working on for five straight weeks. Companies he worked with on some of the orders were not following through and made the job difficult. Needless to say, Charlie was feeling exasperated. When he would come home after working 4/10 hour days, he would snap at me over the littlest things. Then there was also my daughter who graduated from college with her Master's going through a lot of emotions as well. Let me just say the phrase, "You hurt those who are closest to you," really hit home.

While my son Rob was at work he'd text me a quick, "Hi mom ~ how's it going?"
I replied, "Shh... Don't tell anybody, but I'm running away."
He replied, "I won't tell anybody. Where are you going?"
I replied, "I don't know yet, I'm thinking about an ole' fishing town with a diner at the end of a pier where I could serve clam chowder or a diner called the Whistle Stop, nestled in a small country town next to a train track, and I could bake pies and serve fried fish and hush puppies."
Rob replied, "Can I come?"
I replied, "Yeah, you can come with me. You can be my cook and go fishing whenever you want."
He replied, "Let me know when."
I replied, "Okay."

I didn't ask him what was going on at home that made him want to run away nor did he ask me. We just understood where the other was coming from.

5 comments:

  1. It's a scene from a movie...and I love it.

    Myk and I have that kind of relationship...never was able to develope that with my girls..not sure why.

    Give Charlie a big hug from Wanda. Give Angela a double big hug from Wanda Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that Charlie didn't even realize how he was being received.

    I'm also sure that he must love you a lot to know that when he is in the safe harbor of your loving home that he can explode and you will understand. It is difficult to be sensitive to others when you are madder than a wet hen. And frustrated, to boot.

    Rob knew what you needed and gave it to you unconditionally. Charlie will too, when he cools down.

    btw, let me know when you start your shift at the Whistle Stop Cafe, I'll try to drop by for a cup of coffee.

    Take care, and know you are loved by those closest to you.

    Because you....

    Serve with integrity, care about those you serve and share the love in your heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comments made me smile. Thank you both for the words of wisdom and double hugs!

    Jack ~ I'll let you know.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a cliche but true sometimes you always hurt the one you love! it is like your friend says husbands lash out at the wives and children at times with their mother's we have all been there. I know how you felt I feel like that at time! if you ever want to start that diner I may just join you and Rob!

    love you mija
    Tia

    ReplyDelete
  5. a precious moment from you just when you needed it most.
    your telling of it gave me goosebumps.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    btw: you have a lovely blogspace.

    ReplyDelete