Friday, October 1, 2010

I Have Butterflies...

A couple of years ago, the California Native Plant Society had a plant sale and I bought some plants. They were drought tolerant and also attracted hummingbirds and butterflies. The plant basically looks like a weed and my husband begs me if he can pull it out almost every time he works in the yard. He tells me so often that I got suckered into buying some weeds that I started to wonder myself. The first year, my plant didn't do anything and I was really disappointed with it. The next year, my plant had some fuzz on it and didn't flower; not a butterfly in sight. However, this year my plant is in full bloom and everyday I find a different species of butterflies. It has been a blast photographing them and trying to figure out what type of butterfly they are.

Patience ~ Good things come to those who wait.

;)



Below are three photos of the Monarch whom are strong fliers.








Ummm... I don't know what this one is.


I believe this butterfly is a Painted Lady.


In this photo, I liked the way the butterfly is a fluttering blur ~ kinda dreamy.


I think this one is a Clouded Sulphur.


I can't figure out what this butterfly is. I do know it is pretty!

While I was waiting for the butterflies to land and bask in the sun, I took some photo's of other's who were visiting my garden.







If you know what any of these butterflies are, please do share your knowledge with me. I find them so fascinating!

5 comments:

  1. I don't know what any of those are but your photos of all of them are so beautiful!

    <3 you
    tia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the butterflies, but the plant looks like a California aster (Aster chilensis), a perennial that is dormant in winter and bloom in summer. You can cut it to the ground in December to rejuvenate it. Its underground rhizomes are alive and it will return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for having the patience to continue growing the natives. Sometimes modest looks still provide lots of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a BEAUTY FULL!!! post! I like that dreAMY ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are lovely Angela.
    I am not knowledgeable at all about butterflies. I'm glad your patience has been rewarded!
    hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete