Saturday, May 7, 2011

All I Ever Wanted ~

When I was in the 2nd grade, my teacher, Mrs. Galardie, asked us to write a paragraph on what we wanted to be when we grew up and draw a picture above our paragraph. I immediately drew a picture of me all grown up. I had a dress on with an apron tied around my waist, and was standing in front of a stove top/oven range with the door open to the oven, pulling out a pan of brownies. I also had a little boy and a little girl next to me with smile's drawn on all of our faces. Dad of course, was working.

As I drew my picture, all of the other children were busy chattering about what they wanted to be and drew themselves as doctors, nurses, teachers and astronauts. I recall a little girl sitting across from me, gasped when she asked me what I wanted to be. I said most proudly, "A momma!" All the children chimed in with the same sentiments as, "YOU want to BE A MOMMA?" My teacher was standing near our desks and said in a very nice but scolding way, "Now children, being a momma is one of the most important roles in one's life and there is nothing wrong with wanting to be a momma (I looked at the girl and stuck my tongue out at her)." As my teacher walked by my desk, she gave my shoulder a squeeze and said as she looked at my picture, "Angela, what a beautiful picture! May I ask what you are pulling out of the oven?" I said, "Brownies! My momma ALWAYS makes us brownies." When we are little girls, we want to be just like our momma's.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I've collected apron's for as long as I can remember. The picture below are just some of them.









Below are some apron's my great gram and grandma made themselves. When they learned that I had a quite a collection going, they quickly added to it.











Being a mother means that your heart
is no longer yours; it wanders
wherever your children do.

Not so long ago.
We give and take
And take and give
Along time's endless row.
Love is passed
And love received
To be passed on again:
A precious heirloom
Twice, twice blessed,
A spiritual cardigan.

I'll put it on
And treasure it,
The me I have received,
And when the roles
Reverse again,
I'll have what I most need.

So may our love
Go on and on,
A hundred thousand years;
Through joys and other tears.

- Anonymous

Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

  1. A noble calling for sure.

    I too love Aprons and have quite a few...I also love hanging clothes on a line with wooden clothes pins.

    This was a most extrordinary and wonderful post...a ton of memories of my mom's aprons....

    Love and Hugs you dear Momma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful post! I learn something new from you and I will tell you a secret I always wanted to be a mommy just like my mama/your grandma Garcia. she gave me a liking of aprons and recipes as well. I know all your grandmother's are looking down upon you with a big smile! you are a great momma! <3

    love you
    Tia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some very pretty aprons and so nostalgic, too. Sorry to be late commenting on your Mothers Day post. I love the wooden clothespins, too!

    ReplyDelete